Best way to add ESXI hosts

Hi everyone,

I’m using the 21.04 build of the greenbone tools and working on adding in some of my ESXi hosts. One challenge I’m having is when scanning the hosts with a credentialed scan, the only entries coming up are basic log entries and this is on a host that does have a few security patches needed. I’ve tried:

• Scan host with SSH credential tested to be able to login via SSH to ESXI host using Full & Fast
  • Scan host with ESXi Credentials tested to be able to login to host admin page using Full & Fast
  • Scan host using settings above with ESXI Shell Enabled on ESXi host using Full & Fast
  • Scan host using settings above with ESXi Shell Disabled on ESXI host using Full & Fast

None of these scans have been able to properly identify the OS running on the device. My current feeds are NVT: current; SCAP: 2 days; CERT: current; GVM_DATA: 17 days.

Could someone share their scan config for ESXi hosts? I’m sure it’s something easy I’m missing.

Thank you

To have full ESXi support incl. scanning for patched on the Hypervisor via vCenter protocol is only part of the Greenbone Security Feed (commercial product) and not available at the GCF.

2 Likes