Default configurations? (gsad, gvmd)

Hi! I’ve recently installed OpenVAS from source following instructions from this site:

https://sadsloth.net/post/install-gvm11-src-on-debian/

The tool works well as installed (standalone scanner); I’m currently working on configuring a distributed installation, while learning about GVM’s architecture and small itty bitty details.

As an example, I’m needing to configure GVMD to listen on TCP so that it can be queried remotely. I ended up doing that in the service unit with the --listen and -port flags, and it worked fine.
I then needed to point GSAD to find where the manager was listening, so I set the --mlisten and --mport flags, and that also worked.

However, while I was trying to figure that out, I spent a quite some time trying to find where the bare default configurations for these two where. I’m kinda looking for something similar to the output you get from running “openvas -s”, but for GSAD and GVMD.

That is, is there anywhere I can see the configs both of these apply when you run them without any flags at all? Have I missed any obvious config files? Are those set during compile? If so, is there anywhere in the source files I should be looking for them?

Thanks ^_^.

GVM versions

gsa: 9.0.0 (‘gsad --version’)
gvm: 9.0.1 (‘gvmd --version’)
gvm-libs: 11.0.0

Environment

Operating system: Debian 10.2
Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 (‘uname -a’)
Installation method / source: Manual from Source / Git

Not quite sure if this is correct since I haven’t tried installing GVM11 from source, but on OpenVAS 9 the default configuration for GSA and Manager is located at /etc/default. openvas-gsa and openvas-manager specifically.

There is no similar option like -s for gsad and gvmd. You have to look at the output of --help or the source code directly. E.g. for gsad you can take a look at the main function

Hey all, thanks for the input. I had been looking at the wrong source files apparently (not a programmer, doing ma best :P).

I found this for GSAD:

And for GVMD:

Which answers my question, and quite a couple others I had (in particular default SSL paths, and some other configs for each daemon).

Thanks ^_^.

1 Like