Hello everybody ,
We at INRAe (National Institute for Agricultural & Environmental Research, France) are testing Greenbone GVMD ‘OpenVAS’ vulnerabilities scanner, v21.4 . We’re not using appliances, we’ve been installing the opensource software (sources fetched on GitHub) and compiling on a Debian 10.10 virtual machine.
We’re in a POC phase, with only one VM (VMware hosted) node installed. It works quite fine.
However, moving from a POC to deployment on the many networks of our organization, scalability and distributing the scanning workload is now the question.
From previous (and now obsolete) versions of ‘OpenVAS’ prior to Greenbone, it would appear that one OpenVAS could possibly control several ‘remote scanner agents’ ( … ? nothing very clear though)
Nowadays, code maintenance & evolutions has moved with Greenbone Networks - and they are doing an outstanding job. Nevertheless, the main documentation available (GSM-Manual-GOS-21.04-en.pdf) is quite ‘appliances oriented’. It says that controlling multiple ‘OpenVAS-scanners’ nodes (or OSP compliants scanners) from a single ‘GVMD’ is possible, with a distributed architecture of appliances.
But I can’t find a single section describing how to set up a distributed architecture with the opensource software (GSE).
Questions are :
- is it possible (or NOT) to set up a distributed nodes architecture using Greenbone GVM opensource software only … ? (1 GVMD + multiple remote ‘scanning agents’ nodes)
- if yes, where can we find the detailed pertaining documentation ?
- finally, wouldn’t the simplest way to proceed be to just clone the whole VM into as many instances as required ?
many thanks for any answer, regards , J. Le Moigne ( jean.le-moigne [at] inrae [dot] fr
**gsad: Greenbone Security Assistant 21.04.0~git
**gvmd: Greenbone Vulnerability Manager 21.4.0, Manager DB revision 242
Copyright © 2009-2021 Greenbone Networks GmbH
**openvas-scanner: OpenVAS 21.4.0
**gvm-libs: gvm-libs 21.4.0
- Debian 10.10 VM (hosted on a VMware vCenter)
- Kernel : Linux 4.19.0-17-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.194-3 (2021-07-18) x86_64 GNU/Linux
*Installation method / source: compiled from sources ‘GVM v21.4’ (from GitHub)