Does an nvt feed update interrupt a current running scan

Hi,

Just wondering if a scan is in the process of running, and a cron job triggered a nvt update whether the scan would be interrupted or openvas would wait until the scan or scans are completed and then launch the nvt update. Is there a better way to update nvts than using a cron job triggering the following commands:

/usr/sbin/greenbone-nvt-sync
/usr/sbin/greenbone-certdata-sync
/usr/sbin/greenbone-scapdata-sync
/usr/sbin/openvasmd –update –verbose –progress
/etc/init.d/openvas-manager restart
/etc/init.d/openvas-scanner restart

Thank you for the help in advance.

1 Like

Please note that current used category is/was https://community.greenbone.net/c/vulnerability-tests (Description: About the Vulnerability Tests category) which is about vulnerability tests (the so called “NASL scripts”).

As this topic is not about the NASL scripts itself but about the scanner and how the scanner is handling such situations i’m moving this topic in the better fitting “GSE” category.

@Hani @jjnicola @cfi do you have some insights here? What’s happening when the nvts are updated during a scan? Is that possible are the new nvts already considered for the scan? Does the sync block the scans? I really don’t think running scans are stopped.

If you restart the Manager/GMVd all scans are paused. I don´t know this scripts but the manager restart is never a good idea during a scan.

1 Like

The was a bug where feed updates (specifically moved/renamed/removed plugins) could cause scans interruptions. This is now fixed and feed updates during scans are better handled.

• New plugins are not added to an already launched scan.
  • Feed updates don’t block ongoing scans.
2 Likes

Hi @Hani thank you very much for your reply.