Duplicate OID replaced by GVM Libs

GVM versions

gvmd: 21.4.4
openvas-scanner: 21.4.3
**gvm-libs:**21.4.3

Environment

Operating system: Debian Bullseye
Kernel: Linux dsl9x 5.4.170+ #1 SMP Sat Mar 5 10:08:44 PST 2022 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Installation method / source: GitHub, build myself

Question

Everytime I start OpenVAS I see lines like the following in /var/log/gvm/openvas.log:
libgvm util:WARNING:2022-05-17 10h07.41 utc:161: NVT /var/lib/openvas/plugins/2012/amazon/alas-2012-108.nasl with duplicate OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.25623.1.0.120261 will be replaced with 2012/alas-2012-108.nasl

This makes me think like a specific path is set wrong or the cache (Redis?) is corrupt.
I’m not a hero in the C language, but I looked at the following file: https://github.com/greenbone/gvm-libs/blob/main/util/nvticache.c lines 225-256. I am trying to understand what is happening.

While I read other topics and tried to read the source code, I can’t figure out what is going wrong and how I can resolve this issue.

I’m wondering if someone can help me a bit further with this issue.

may it help you if you build the latest versions that are released? Maybe also a rebuild of the VTs will help you.

Regards, Josef

I’ll try and get back to you.

gvmd: 21.4.5
gvmd-libs: 21.4.4
openvas: 21.4.4
ospd-openvas: 21.4.4

Upgrade and fresh compile didn’t work.

I would try to remove all the files in the /var/lib/openvas/plugins/ folder and sync the nvt files again and run then gvmd -rebuild ( 2x - ) my phone change it to a long dash.

1 Like

This issue happens every time with a clean build/start. I’ll try if it happens on an existing installation too when using rebuild.

Still have this issue after rebuild. It completes with Updated NVT cache from version 0 to 202205200952.

It looks like the NVT cache is lost everytime.

To clarify: GVM(d) is able to startup and to scan a target, but it has a long startup time after every reboot/restart because of this issue.

Just to get that right, the NVT cache is part of openvas scanner not gvmd. The scanner is loading the VT information into redis and gvmd is requesting the VT changes since the last update from the scanner. Thus if you shut down redis for example due to a reboot all VT data must be reloaded from the file system.

1 Like

Did you really cleared /var/lib/openvas/plugins/ before sync it again?

Do you use the community or enterprise feeds? Or do you copy the feeds on your own?

The greenbone-nvt-sync script should handle it correctly. I’m don’t find two files with the same OID on any feed that I had freshly synced.

Regards, Josef

1 Like

I tried with an empty /var/lib/openvas/plugins/ but I’ll try again to be sure.

I am copying the community feed to reduce the load on Greenbone’s servers. I’ll try with a direct sync from Greenbone’s server incase the copied feed didn’t sync correctly.

I am copying the community feed to reduce the load on Greenbone’s servers.

I think here is the problem, because you did not delete the old files, that the sync script will care about.

2 Likes

Yeah this was the issue, my feed sync didn’t delete old files. That fixed the duplicate issue.

However, while the NVT cache is up-to-date almost immediately, the startup time didn’t improve. Some further investigation necessary from my side :).

1 Like

Yeah this was the issue, my feed sync didn’t delete old files. That fixed the duplicate issue.

Happy to hear that it now fix this issue.

However, while the NVT cache is up-to-date almost immediately, the startup time didn’t improve. Some further investigation necessary from my side :).

What exactly is your problem with the startup time? If you mean that the complete stack is ready after a start? No, this will not work out of the box, once you sync the nvts they need to get parsed and written to the postgresql. This takes it’s time, based on you system it can take less time like 10 minutes (my cloud server) or like on my LAN it can take on a RPI 6-12h. There are some factors on HDD or SSD or NVME as storage and also of RAM and CPU.

Maybe you look to your iowait after start the services and you will probably see that it is high, I personal have on my RPI a iowait between 10 and 20.

1 Like

Right now I see a startup time of 6 minutes and I’m trying to bring it down as much as possible.

What I am trying to create is a Docker image which builds every night and is (almost) ready to go. I also tried to add persistence to Redis so it doesn’t has to load its cache everytime.

In the build process of the Docker image I’m doing the NVT synchronization and wrote a script to check if the feeds are fully synced and to check if all configs are available. Only then the build process ends and it should start ready to go. That’s why I don’t understand why it has to take 6 minutes to startup when:

• Feed is synced
  • Redis has the cache data
  • PostgreSQL is synced

I understand this is more a hobby project and not really the scope of the community project ;).

Have a look into my docker project, it is more or less what you try to archive: https://github.com/DeineAgenturUG/greenbone-gvm-openvas-for-docker

Without any volumes, the docker image deineagenturug/gvm:latest-data-full should do what you try to do.

Best Regards, Josef

2 Likes