"Duration of last Scan Invalid date"

Hello.
I’m trying to create a scan and everyone returns with the error:

Duration of last Scan Invalid date

I cannot change timezone in GVM. My Linux has GMT-3 timezone.

What should I do?

Thanks,
Pininga

First of all which version are you using and how did you install this version and on which Distribution?

Second did your scan complete? Do you have results in the created report? Do you have error messages (Errors Tab) in the report? Does the gvmd.log or ospd-openvas.log contain errors?

Most likely your scan didn’t run at all and therefore there is no scan duration. It seems that GSA doesn’t check this situation for the scan duration correctly.

Hi bricks.

Thank you very much for your questioning.

I’m using GVM 11 on Ubuntu 20.04 and installed it using the script I downloaded from https://github.com/yu210148/gvm_install.

I can access it remotely via a browser, create a scan … except to get a successful scan (lol).

Hug,
Pininga

Looks like something similar was reported for the GCE: First scan "invalid date"

Is there anything special on client side (Timezone in Browser, specific Browser) or similar which could be responsible for this?

As I wrote already it is very likely that there is some setup problem and the scanner doesn’t run at all. The “Invalid Date” may be only a symptom. Could you check the created report and the error messages in this reports. Also please check the ospd-openvas.log and gvmd.log files for errors.

2 Likes

Well.

Instead of correcting setup errors do you believe that it would be best to redo the machine, since future problems may arise along the same lines? As I intend to use the machine for a long time, I hope.

If so, which setup (or script) should I follow?

Thank you one more time.
Pininga

I am not sure if that is an error in the setup or if it is a bug in GSA. I tend to say that the setup of the scanner is not correct but if you don’t check the error message we will never know.

It could be possible that the scanner is just not running, a wrong socket location is used or even the feed sync isn’t finished.

You’re right.

I will analyze the logs before any decision.

Hug
Pininga

Hi bricks.

I couldn’t find these files:

ospd-openvas.log and gvmd.log

sorry, but where can i find them.

[ ]
Pininga

Both should be in $INSTALL_PREFIX/var/log/gvm and your install prefix should be /opt/gvm

Hi bricks.

I redid the entire installation process and followed up to see possible errors and now I can only open the console via a browser locally. I can’t get remote console access.

In gsad.log I have the following errors:
gsad main: WARNING: 2020-08-05 13h13.59 utc: 24347: MHD: Failed to bind to port 443: Address already in use
gsad main: WARNING: 2020-08-05 13h13.59 utc: 24347: Binding to port 443 failed, trying default port 9392 next.

And in ospd-openvas.log, the errors below:
2020-08-05 10: 19: 12,679 OSPD - openvas: ERROR: (ospd_openvas.daemon) Not possible to add dependency None for vt 1.3.6.1.4.1.25623.1.0.144350
2020-08-05 10: 29: 58,704 OSPD - openvas: ERROR: (ospd_openvas.db) Redis Error: Not possible to connect to the kb.
2020-08-05 14: 45: 19,864 OSPD - openvas: ERROR: (ospd_openvas.daemon) OpenVAS Scanner failed to load NVTs. Command ‘[’ openvas ‘,’ --update-vt-info ‘]’ died with <Signals.SIGABRT: 6>.

Where can I find an official script for installation using Ubuntu 20.04 on a virtual machine using Virtualbox?

[ ]
Pininga

If you feel it difficult to deal with issues like this, i would strongly suggest you give the GCE a try. To be able to use the GSE you need to know how a Linux system works and to resolve OS based simple issues that are not discussed and helped here, be course they are off topic here.

It seems your redis server is not running. redis is used to store the vt data and scan information.

Hello bricks.

Is there an official script for installing Openvas?

Thank you very much,
Pininga

You can´t just run a script and everything works :rofl:

It´s a complex software package, with databases and interconnections.

Hello Lucas.

I agree with you, but a script is a set of procedures (an actor also has a script to perform his participation). Some can be automated. In my country we have a thinker who says: the satisfied animal sleeps. I don’t want to sleep. I am wanting to learn.

If you can tell which is the best sequence, maybe I can execute it.

Thank you very much,
Pininga

Hi,
have you searched through this forum to gather knowledge about setting up gvm?
Here are a lot of people sharing there way of installing gvm on various linux distributions. As you want to learn I recommend you to have a look on all of them. Earlier you mentioned something about virtualbox, ubuntu … It does not matter where you put gvm on, you can run it inside ubuntu20.04 in a kvm, xen, virtualbox, docker, baremetal. The setup of all gvm components is described in the according github repos, have a look over there.
Cheers,
Carl

Dear Pininga,

That is an excellent approach:

Here some Links how to get started:

https://www.tldp.org/guides.html
https://www.oreilly.com/openbook/debian/book/

I strongly suggest to buy this great books that everyone should have in his bookshelf working with Linux/Unix systems :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP/IP_Illustrated (Volume 1-3)

1 Like

Hi Carl.

I tried two differents scripts available on the forum, and in both I came across errors … so I posted my doubts.
Mr. bricks questioned which script I followed …
Mr. Lukas suggested learning Linux …
I also saw responses that there was no support for third-party scripting, so I requested an “official” script.
If you can indicate which script I can follow, I am very grateful, as it seems that I am going in circles.

Thank you very much,
Pininga

There is no official script, the “only” official resource is the Greenbone Community Edition (GCE).