GCE evaluation

Hi,

I am trying out the GCE appliance.

Things are going smooth except that the openvas-scanner service is not started till I delete the /etc/openvas/openvassd.conf file.

I figured out the above mentioned work around after running the script openvas-check-setup which threw error :
ERROR: Your OpenVAS Scanner configuration seems to be from a pre-OpenVAS-4 installation and contains non-FHS compliant paths.
** FIX: Delete your OpenVAS Scanner Configuration file /etc/openvas/openvassd.conf).**

After I deleted the openvassd.conf file, the scanner service started automatically in few seconds.

What could be the permanent solution please?

Thanks
Yateen

The GCE is a ready to use virtual machine which doesn’t require access to native os. Please always follow the GCE install guide

It should be never necessary to change any configuration file for running the GCE! So deleting the openvassd.conf isn’t a good idea. After the initial startup the sync process for the feed really needs some time. During this time you can’t run scans or will get insufficient results.

If the scanner daemon isn’t running at all at the end it should be considered a bug and reported here instead of adjusting any config files.

2 Likes

Thanks !

my openvas-scanner is not at all running (although the manager and gsa are running)
Here is an excerpt from the system journal entries…

Nov 12 06:31:38 gsm systemd[1]: Started OpenVAS Scanner.
Nov 12 06:31:38 gsm command-wrapper[1158]: gpgv: Signature made Mon 05 Nov 2018 08:46:35 AM utc
Nov 12 06:31:38 gsm command-wrapper[1158]: gpgv: using DSA key 48479FF648DB4530
Nov 12 06:31:38 gsm command-wrapper[1158]: gpgv: Can’t check signature: No public key
Nov 12 06:31:38 gsm systemd[1]: openvas-scanner.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Nov 12 06:31:38 gsm systemd[1]: Unit openvas-scanner.service entered failed state.
Nov 12 06:31:38 gsm command-wrapper[1158]: Erroneous or missing signature for checksums file /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/sha256sumsNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/gb_moinmoin_wiki_detect.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/gb_aimp_detect.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/gb_westermo_weos_detect.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/gb_php_server_monitor_detect.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/gb_apache_struts_detect.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/gb_foxit_pdf_toolkit_detect.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/gb_electro_industries_gaugetech_total_web_solutions_detect.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/gb_libssh_server_detect.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/gb_host_alive_check6.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/secpod_cyrus_imap_server_detect.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/secpod_open_tcp_ports.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/secpod_ziproxy_server_detect.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/gb_google_chrome_detect_macosx.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/bind_version.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/dont_scan_printers.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/gb_garrettcom_switch_detect.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/secpod_slurm_detect.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/gb_nucom_device_detect.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/remote-detect-MDNS.naslNo checksum for /opt/greenbone/feed/plugins/find_service1.nasl

Regards,
Yateen

Thanks for the report! We’ll investigate this issue.

1 Like