Greenbone feed not getting updated to current status

The greenbone feed update is not done completely . The update process completes after one sync itself . There is no error after the command execution either .Below is the scapdata-sync execution .
greenbone-scapdata-sync
Greenbone community feed server - http://feed.community.greenbone.net/
This service is hosted by Greenbone Networks - http://www.greenbone.net/

All transactions are logged.

If you have any questions, please use the Greenbone community portal.
See https://community.greenbone.net for details.

By using this service you agree to our terms and conditions.

Only one sync per time, otherwise the source ip will be temporarily blocked.

receiving incremental file list
timestamp
13 100% 1.59kB/s 0:00:00 (xfr#1, to-chk=0/1)

sent 43 bytes received 113 bytes 24.00 bytes/sec
total size is 13 speedup is 0.08

So as of now the feed has not been updated since 22 days .

Can I know the solution for this issue ?
openvas installed details
gsa - 7.0.3
gvm-libs-9.0.3
openvas-manager -7.0.3
openavs-scanner - 5.1.3

We update the database everytime before the scan .Facing this issue for the first time.

Thanks
Gangambika.

Hey Gangambika,

this happened 22 days ago:

Hi @_OR

As a workaround for now ,I have patched new URL in the sync routines as mentioned in the topic you pasted . But that seems to be not working .
What is the latest revision we should be updated to ?
Or the feed updates will be provided post September 30th ?

In fact feed.community.greenbone.net is not reachable .

Thanks
Gangambika

Hi,

you are using an outdated and unsupported version of our software. It may be possible that the feed is incompatible with the version you are using. Please update at least to GVM 11 or even better GVM 20.08 (stable, initial release 2020-08-12)

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for response .
But we also have version GVM 11 installed . And I made the URL changes in the sync routines . But that seems to be not working .

New observation : NVT feed status has disappeared .

Installed version details :
GVM Libraries 11.0.0
OpenVAS 7.0.0
OSPd 2.0.0
ospd-openvas 1.0.0
Greenbone Vulnerability Manager 9.0.0
Greenbone Security Assistant 9.0.0
OpenVAS SMB 1.0.5

Can I know the issue please ?

If no NVT feed status is showing up there then this means the greenbone-nvt-sync command isn’t working anymore / doesn’t return the expected data. I guess some syntax error or similar slipped in while doing the URL changes in the sync routines.

Instead of manually editing the files it is recommended to update this outdated versions:

to the more recent ones listed here:

So, I seem to be unable to see the new feed system.

using: 20.08.0, Manager DB revision 223

any assistance would be great.

thank you.

feed openvas org is pingable and traceable all the way
trace:
80 157 131 229
po1-2064 ccr1 whp26 fra iag eu
dl greenbone net

feed community greenbone net “failed to connect to feed community greenbone net”
Ping fails
tracing fails after:
80 157 131 229

I think something is down today.

I get rsync: failed to connect to feed.community.greenbone.net (45.135.106.142): Connection refused (111)

That is telling you nothing, we have a Enterprise Firewall before the new feed server. You need to check the service port with rsync or try to do a TCP connect with netcat.

1 Like

Please check your firewall and other active network components.

1 Like

Can you explain with a little more details ? What does this mean wrt NVT not showing up in the status feed ?

If the “NVT” row is missing on the “Feed Status” table then the call of the following command failed by gvmd failed:

greenbone-nvt-sync --feedversion

You might find some info why the call failed in the gvmd.log (probably located somewhere at /var/log/gvm/gvmd.log.

A few common issues could be:

1. Wrong permissions (User running gvmd doesn’t have any permissions to run that script)
  2. Filename not found within the PATH of the user running gvmd
  3. Wrongly done modifications to that file

“greenbone-nvt-sync --feedversion” gives me 202009151007.

feed.openvas.org is not reachable, so is feed.community.greenbone.net (at least there´s no ping reply).

OpenVAS is v9.0.3, this is the latest stable release coming with the Rasperry Pi OS/Debian Stretch.

Is there
a) a manual way of editing the feed source URL?
b) a Raspberry Pi compatible repository I can add to update to a newer version than provided by the default apt repository for my OS?

I suggest you read the text before posting such a statement here.

Oh hi Lukas, you must be the boss round here. I know the reason (server shutdown, need for updating) and read all the text. Did you read my questions?

Thank you very much for the warm welcome.