GSAD SSL problem

Hi all,
Recently I’ve been trying to enable SSL certificates on my GVM instance, I generated OpenSSL private key. Next I got a certificate via Active Directory Cert Services and converted it to a pem file.

Then I put the files in the following folders:
/etc/pki/tls/private/privatekey.pem
/etc/pki/tls/cert/cert.pem

And used the following config in the file: “/etc/systemd/system/greenbone-security-assistant.service”:

[Unit]
Description=Greenbone Security Assistant (gsad)
Documentation=man:gsad(8) https://www.greenbone.net
After=network.target
Wants=gvmd.service

[Service]
Type=forking
PIDFile=/var/run/gvm/gsad.pid
WorkingDirectory=/opt/gvm
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/gsad --drop-privileges=gvm -p 443 -k /etc/pki/tls/private/privatekey.pem -c /etc/pki/tls/cert/cert.pem
Restart=on-failure
RestartSec=2min
KillMode=process
KillSignal=SIGINT
GuessMainPID=no
PrivateTmp=true

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Though this config breaks my entire system; After a reboot I’m not able to log in and have the following error:

Hang when boot- [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through

Anyone here who knows what causes this to happen, or what would be the solution to make ssl work?

EDIT: I did also use the following commands:

gsad --ssl-private-key=/etc/pki/tls/private/privatekey.pem
gsad --ssl-certificate=/etc/pki/tls/cert/cert.pem

ps: I was already able to revert my changes, so no data got lost.

Kind regards,
Miro

GVM versions

gsad: 21.4.3 (‘gsad --version’)
gvmd: 21.4.4 (‘gvmd --version’)
openvas-scanner: 21.4.3 (‘openvas --version’, in older GVM versions < 11: ‘openvassd --version’)
gvm-libs: 21.4.3

Environment

Operating system: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.5
Kernel: 4.18.0-348.20.1.el8_5.x86_64
Installation method / source: How to install OpenVAS on Red Hat Linux (ceos3c.com)

@Miro I usually prefer ssl reverse proxy with nginx as its so easy. it that option for you also?

Eero

Do you have something listening on port 80? gsad will attempt to bind to port 80 for redirection, unless you use the --no-redirect option.