GVM11 Error Show Tasks

Hello,
i try atm to upgrade gvm10 to gvm11 in the Source Edition from Github. That i dont loose my tasks i migratet the sqlite to postresql and than i installed the gvm11 source files over the old files… at the moment are all services are running, so gvm, gsad, ospd-openvas and redis.

The problem is now, that when i wanna see the taks i get the follow error:

like you can see i can start the tasks from command line and they scan sth, but they would not shown to me, in the gvmd.log i have the follow error:

md gmp:UNKNOWN:2019-10-25 08h07.05 UTC:22666: handle_get_tasks: GET_TASKS: error finding task scanner, aborting

Hope someone can help me.

Kind regards,

ayinuha

GVM versions

gsa: 9.0
gvmd: 9.0
openvas: 7.0.0
gvm-libs: 11.0
OSP Server for openvas: 1.0.0
OSP: 1.2
OSPd: 2.0.0

Environment Greenbone Server

**Operating system: Ubuntu Server 18.4
**Kernel: 4.15.0-58-generic
**Installation method / source: Github

And i dont know why… but when i want to show the tasks i get the follow error in the syslog/journalctl -f:

Oct 29 07:19:03 vilsw-greenbone kernel: traps: gvmd[25592] trap int3 ip:7effe9f41ea1 sp:7ffeff6b3260 error:0 in libglib-2.0.so.0.5600.4[7effe9ef0000+114000]

i googled this error and saw that that is sth like a break point for developers? Is this a bug in the new Version?

i have restored now a Snapshot and tried to rebuild the situation … Now i see the tasks, but every time when i try to Scan the Scan starts with 1 % and after few seconds its jump to 100% and finish with an empty report… The problem is… I doesnt find an alert… Not in the syslog, not in the gvmd/gsad/ospd-openvas logs…

Some one know what is the problem?

You need to de-install the old components first, you can´t just mix binaries from different releases !

mhh okay, i had the hope that it is possible to install the new Version over the old version

In that way there is a great danger to mix symbols. So better remove all binaries before updating your installation. A packetmanager would help.

okay… i installed the new version from scratch and have now the same problem… but during the installation from ospd with pip3 i saw this error:

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Then something is wrong with your machine, check the MCE logs … defective RAM, CPU cache etc …

I have now installed ospd-2.0 with sudo -H pip3 install ospd successfully, but now i have in the ospd-openvas.log the follow error:

ValueError: All strings must be XML compatible: Unicode or ASCII, no NULL bytes or control characters
2019-10-31 09:02:00,031 OSPD - openvas: ERROR: (ospd.ospd) While handling client command:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/gvm/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ospd/ospd.py”, line 762, in handle_client_stream
response = self.handle_command(data)
File “/home/gvm/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ospd/ospd.py”, line 1624, in handle_command
return self.handle_get_vts_command(tree)
File “/home/gvm/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ospd/ospd.py”, line 1011, in handle_get_vts_command
vts_xml = self.get_vts_xml(vt_id, filtered_vts)
File “/home/gvm/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ospd/ospd.py”, line 1545, in get_vts_xml
vts_xml.append(self.get_vt_xml(vt_id))
File “/home/gvm/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ospd/ospd.py”, line 1487, in get_vt_xml
vt_id, vt.get(‘affected’)
File “/home/gvm/.local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ospd_openvas/daemon.py”, line 684, in get_affected_vt_as_xml_str
_affected.text = affected
File “src/lxml/etree.pyx”, line 1023, in lxml.etree._Element.text.set
File “src/lxml/apihelpers.pxi”, line 734, in lxml.etree._setNodeText
File “src/lxml/apihelpers.pxi”, line 722, in lxml.etree._createTextNode
File “src/lxml/apihelpers.pxi”, line 1527, in lxml.etree._utf8

Btw. can someone explain me why the installation with sudo -H works, but w.o sudo its make the error with core dumped?

Your installation is broken :wink: This is not the right place to learn how to debug within the Linux Environment, so i strongly suggest to switch over to the GCE.

For productiv system we will use the Appliance in Future, i just want to set up for my personaly interesting :smiley:

But why is the installation broken when i followed the normal installation guide? o.o

Every Linux Distribution and personal settings might be different, sometimes it´s the terminal encoding, messed up libraries or a bad combination of settings and/or permissions. I am very sorry but with this amount of information no one can debug your issues via this forum. You need to learn how to use tools like GDB and STRACE to be able to debug your own issues.

This message was caused by a single VT added to the feed recently which had a special control char in the “affected” tag. This special char has already been removed and the updated VT should be included in one of the next feed updates, in addition the ospd-openvas is getting improved to handle such special chars more gracefully: