How to add SNMP credentials

Use this category only if you have build GVM from sources or if you use packages provided by a 3rdparty repository.

Please read About the Greenbone Source Edition (GSE) and About GVM Architecture before posting.

When posting you should provide information about your environment using the following template:

GVM versions

gsad: (‘gsad --version’) : Greenbone Security Assistant 21.4.1~dev1
gvmd: (‘gvmd --version’) : 21.4.2
openvas-scanner: (‘openvas --version’, in older GVM versions < 11: ‘openvassd --version’)
gvm-libs: 21.4.1

Environment

Operating system:
Kernel: (‘uname -a’) : Kali 5.10.0-kali9-amd64
Installation method / source: : Installed ISO

While adding SNMP credentials we need to add the following informtion :slight_smile:

1. SNMP Community : How do I find it what is SNMP community ? Do I have to check this for each and every network device ?
  2. Username & Password : Does username has to be like domain\username or just username.
  3. What is privacy password ? It can be anything ?
  4. How do I choose Auth Algo and Privacy algo ?

Please take a look at https://docs.greenbone.net/GSM-Manual/gos-21.04/en/scanning.html#credentials for some more info about the SNMP credential type.

I have followed the article but I’m not able to understand what is privacy password ?

Hi,
Please read your device manual. If you use v3.
privacy-password - Password that a user enters. The password is then converted into a key that is used for encryption.SNMPv3 has special requirements when you create plain-text passwords on a router or switch: The password must be at least eight characters long.The password can include alphabetic, numeric, and special characters, but it cannot include control characters.

1 Like