Increasing Performance of Openvas

Hi All,
Still quite new to GVM and very new to GVM-11. Built from source from the Github repos and it is working fine.
Previously had a system using the Atomic build of GVM-9, where I could configure the max_hosts and max_checks in the openvassd.conf file to increase the performance of a large IP range scan.
How can we do this in GVM-11? I have not been able to find any information bout the configuration files in my searching.

GVM versions

Greenbone Security Assistant 9.0.1~git-3c51bbffa-gsa-9.0
Greenbone Vulnerability Manager 9.0.1~git-18379fe8-gvmd-9.0
OpenVAS 7.0.1
gvm-libs 11.0.1

Environment

CentOS Linux release 8.2.2004 (Core)
Linux localhost.localdomain 4.18.0-193.6.3.el8_2.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Jun 10 11:09:32 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Built from source

Hi,

with

we just changed the config file name from openvassd.conf to openvas.conf. The names of the settings are still the same. But please be aware tweaking them has several performance implications. Using bigger values might actually increase the scan time.

1 Like

Thanks for the information.
Yes, I had deduced that by requesting the configuration of openvas from the command line.
On my older version I had increased the number of consecutive hosts to scan during a large range scan, and increased some settings in redis and elsewhere to compensate for the extra load.
I am doing this on the new host as well, and will advise here if there is a negative performance impact.
The large scan used to run over a weekend. This new host’s first scan of this range is in it’s 4th full day. I am hoping to reduce that.
Cheers