Is OpenVAS blocked to Cuba?

Hi guys,
As you may guess I’m and I work from Cuba . Recently I started a new job and suddenly my network is being certified (this “company” is fairly new), and one of the parameters is (tbh I see it as something weird) have a runing server searching for vulnerabilities. I did a quick research and I found what it seemed to be my best choice: OpenVAS! And… oh boy!!! All what I read was wonderfull things about, and I decided to install it.

I’m a Debian guy, so I quickly search in the officials repositories and found the openvas package was available, so I installed it… it took long time, because my debian system needed to download nearly 700MB, and… well, let’s just say my conectivity isn’t the best (nearly 200kbps at the best). But once installed I found an error when I tried the openvas-setup comand, apparently when I try that command it just run greenbone-nvt-sync behind in order to download the feeds, and the answer it gave me was

gvm@debian-server:~$ greenbone-nvt-sync
bad response from proxy – HTTP/1.1 502 Bad Gateway
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(127) [Receiver=3.1.3]

I just tought it was something wrong with the package, or maybe I needed something else… Then I decided to install from source, compiling everything, like I like to do :slight_smile:

I tried several times, and I always got the same error (for what it may serve, this guide is the best I found sadsloth):

gvm@debian-server:~$ greenbone-nvt-sync
bad response from proxy – HTTP/1.1 502 Bad Gateway
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(127) [Receiver=3.1.3]

Im behind a proxy, so I configure my enviromental variables to work behind my proxy, I did the same with rsync… But I keep getting the same answer when I tried to download the feeds…

I have tried to install OpenVAS server for literally 4 days in a row… But I keep getting the same HTTP 502 error

I can’t try to use a VPN (I normally use ProtonVPN on comand lines), because for a reason of legallity bullshit…

I’m not a guy who normally ask questions in forums, sadly I don’t have the time nor the internet data plan to do it… so… It’s OpenVAS feeds blocked to Cuba?

Hi @kCyborg,

It seems that Debian package installs an old OpenVAS version. I would suggest to install a newer GVM version.
Please take a look at this, which can clarify the situation. I don’t think it is blocked, you are just using an old version of greenbone-nvt-sync which points to an old URL.

1 Like

If you can use docker, this might be an easier option. This image includes a weekly update of the database and data feeds so you don’t have pull them on your slow link.

immauss/openvas (docker.com)

-Scott

Sorry mate, I can’t use docker at work :frowning:

But I will give it a try from home

Hi, thanks for the answer…
Im from home now, with a slower conection, but I’m trying.

I desisted on install OpenVAS (now gvm) on debian, I just try it on a Kali VM and it worked flawlessly! I’m just now updateing the feeds!!!

Btw, the gmv version in the Debian repos is the 9 version, but when I install it on Kali is the version 20 of gvm!!! Why? And… Is there any repo I can add to my source.list in order to install an updated version to a Debian vm?