Issue making openvas-smb, cannot find -lunistring

I’m attempting to install from source utilizing this guide: https://kifarunix.com/install-and-setup-gvm-20-08-on-ubuntu/. I’m not overly proficient with Linux which I know means I shouldn’t be installing from source, but given a budget of $0, I’m trying to figure it out. I am installing the latest GVM with the latest Ubuntu.

I’ve gotten all of the pre-reqs installed, set up postgresql, and installed the gvm-libs. When I go to install the openvas-smb I get an error when trying to make

[ 93%] Linking C executable winexe
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lunistring
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lunistring
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [winexe/CMakeFiles/winexe.dir/build.make:140: winexe/winexe] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:194: winexe/CMakeFiles/winexe.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [Makefile:152: all] Error 2

I know I have /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libunistring.so.2 , which is within one of my /etc/ld.so.conf/ paths and appears to be included. I’m not sure if that’s the wrong thing or what not? I’m really not sure where to go from here.

Thank you

Hi @xalten,
did you try installing libunistring-dev ?

1 Like

That did it! Thank you so much. I didn’t see that in any of the pre-req’s or anything so it wasn’t even on my radar. Thank you!

1 Like

There is now an open PR to add this package to the module requirements:

1 Like