Job for gvmd.service failed because a timeout exceeded

I am new to Kali / Linux all together. Taking a class and the instructor is using OpenVas. What’s crazy is I can install it without any issue on a stand alone pc. I tried installing it on a Kali VM and when i run gvm-start i get the message Job for gvmd.service failed because a timeout exceeded. Does anyone know if OpenVas / GVM will run on a VM?

it works on vm, not sure about your timeout issue, you may try to upgrade it

1 Like

Check your gvmd.log file. That could give a few hints why the start of the service is failing on Kali. Sometimes this happened because of e.g. missing upgrade of the PostgreSQL database not done previously or similar.

Thanks for the reply. The log file is empty. This install is a on a Kali VM running on VirtualBox. I was thinking it had something to do with running on a VM.

Everything is updated. The gvmd.log file is empty so nothing there helps. I am going to start all over with a new VM and see what happens. I am already running Nessus on multiple machines without any issues so i’ll give it one more shot.

It is finally working. I found an article that suggested updating the sources.list file with more sources than i had. Ran update again and then gvm-start and it opened. Next issue was no account. Found another articles that had the correct syntax for creating a new account and there you have it!

wait what article did you find? i’m having a similar issue.

Hi @wsa and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I’d like to know too! :smiley: