gsa: 9
gvm: 9
openvas-scanner: 7
gvm-libs: 11

Environment

Operating system: Ubuntu 20.04
Kernel: 4.15.0-99-generic
Installation method / source: Source Guide used

Hi, I’ve installed OpenVAS from source on three systems now and on two of them it works fine but on the last one I have a problem with GVM not starting properly after boot/reboot 3 out of 4 times. I can’t find why this is happening except for possibly the services not starting in the proper order? The “faulty” machine runs on kinda slow hardware (full install of OpenVAS took ~3 times as long as the other systems).

The guide I used mentioned that the the “boot order” should be : OpenVAS, GVM and then GSA. Is this true?

This is the systemd error I get when it fails to start

– Unit gvmd.service has finished shutting down.
May 09 15:10:32 isa-openvas-ubuntu systemd[1]: gvmd.service: Found left-over process 19969 (gvmd) in control group while starting unit. Ignoring.
May 09 15:10:32 isa-openvas-ubuntu systemd[1]: This usually indicates unclean termination of a previous run, or service implementation deficiencies.
May 09 15:10:32 isa-openvas-ubuntu systemd[1]: gvmd.service: Found left-over process 19971 (gvmd) in control group while starting unit. Ignoring.
May 09 15:10:32 isa-openvas-ubuntu systemd[1]: This usually indicates unclean termination of a previous run, or service implementation deficiencies.
May 09 15:10:32 isa-openvas-ubuntu systemd[1]: Starting Job that runs the gvm daemon…
– Subject: Unit gvmd.service has begun start-up
– Defined-By: systemd
– Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support

– Unit gvmd.service has begun starting up.
May 09 15:10:35 isa-openvas-ubuntu systemd[1]: gvmd.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=1
May 09 15:10:35 isa-openvas-ubuntu systemd[1]: gvmd.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
May 09 15:10:35 isa-openvas-ubuntu polkitd(authority=local)[1078]: Unregistered Authentication Agent for unix-process:19962:2829080 (system bus name :1.12, ob
May 09 15:10:35 isa-openvas-ubuntu systemd[1]: Failed to start Job that runs the gvm daemon.
– Subject: Unit gvmd.service has failed

You should take a look at the log file under $PREFIX/var/log/gvm/gvmd.log where $PREFIX depends on the installation method. Should be /opt in your case.

1 Like

Thx, I did check there, and is mentions being unable to connect to the ospd socket (even after the service has started “properly”).

manage_update_nvt_cache_osp: failed to connect to /opt/gvm/var/run/ospd.sock

Which then results in the service working fine, but the scanner not being able to connect.
(Services start “fine” if I start them manually in order)

As indicated in the logfile, you need to tell ospd to listen on this socket path; eg use command line option –unix-socket /opt/gvm/var/run/ospd.sock when starting up ospd.

1 Like