Openvas.conf missing

Use this category only if you have build GVM from sources or if you use packages provided by a 3rdparty repository.

When posting you should provide information about your environment using the following template:

GVM versions

**gsad: 20.08 (attempting)
**gvmd: 20.08 (attempting)
openvas-scanner: (‘openvas --version’, in older GVM versions < 11: ‘openvassd --version’)
gvm-libs:

Environment

**Operating system: Ubuntu Server
**Kernel:Linux 5.4.0-88-generic #99-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 23 17:29:00 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
**Installation method / source: How To Install And Configure OpenVAS On Ubuntu 20.04 - Eldernode

Greetings everyone,
I was following along to a tutorial, as listed above, to install and setup GVM. I got about half way when I get to this line:

echo “db_address = /run/redis-openvas/redis.sock” > /opt/gvm/etc/openvas/openvas.conf

This complains that openvas.conf doesn’t exist. Sure enough, after searching the entire drive for that name, it’s not there. As a matter of fact, /opt/gvm/etc doesn’t exist at all. I’ve tried a few different tutorials, and I’m running into the same issue.

Thank you

We provide an official build from source guide which you should follow instead at https://greenbone.github.io/docs/

3 Likes

ok thank you. I’m going through and installing it now using the guides you showed me. Two quick notes about the guides, whether or not these are going to shoot me in the foot as I proceed with the installation we’ll see.
I was going through the guide, when installing postgresql, the latest version wants to install version 12. (I’m following 20.04 Ubuntu/21.04 GVM). I had to uninstall that, add a repo for postgresql 11, and install it that way.
Second, when installing python at the python-impacket, I had to change the command to python3-impacket. Everything went through successfully after that.

*** UPDATE ***

I’m following the guide found here: Building GVM 21.04 — Greenbone Documentation documentation

I’m installing systemwide GVM tools, and running into an error. I’ve been following all instructions verbatim, copying and pasting the commands, and I’m funning into a ‘no such file or directory error’.

python3 -m pip install --prefix=$INSTALL_PREFIX --root=$INSTALL_DIR --no-warn-script-location gvm-tools
sudo cp -rv $INSTALL_DIR/* /
rm -rf $INSTALL_DIR/*

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION=“Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS”
NAME=“Ubuntu”
VERSION=“20.04.3 LTS (Focal Fossa)”
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME=“Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS”
VERSION_ID=“20.04”

Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

Higher postgresql version work as well , as long you disable the JIT function that kills all performance.

1 Like