Newbie OpenVAS user here…
- OpenVAS installed on Kali Linux. Feeds are fully up-to-date and openvas-check-setup suggests everything working OK
- Target host is a standalone (i.e. not domain-joined) Windows laptop which hasn’t been updated for months. Connectivity between these hosts is fine.
- Local administrator on the target host account enabled and password set.
- Running a credentialed Nessus scan of the laptop from my iMac finds dozens of missing patches as expected.
- OpenVAS full & fast credentialed scan from Kali finds only three minor issues. No missing patches detected at all. Just to check, I installed OpenVAS on the iMac as well and the same result was obtained.
- Remote registry service on the laptop is running and registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system\LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy has been set and laptop rebooted.
Any clues to what I’m missing here?