OpenVAS scanner type available in gvmd but not gsad?

Guys, with this discussion my initial question got lost. Since I’m currently working on this, I’d like to understand how far I can go. So I re-up my original question; why is there this limitation of only one ospd-openvas scanner per installation ?

I tried using two remote ospd-openvas scanner, and while it seems to work somehow the logs gave strange informations, like if both remote scanners were talking together.

IMHO I already did answered this question. There is should be no limitation at gvmd side. GSA just don’t let you configure additional ospd-openvas scanners. AFAIK you can add additional scanners via gvmd command line.

Sorry Master/Sensor setup is an enterprise feature which we aren’t going to explain (at the moment). For the old Master/sensor setup (the gmp based one) you will find some examples via your preferred search machine which should still apply for GVM 11.

Well you answer is partial, sorry to insist. You said it is supported via command line but not via gsa, which is actually my question. Why isn’t this supported by gsa ? I’m just trying to understand the logic behind this choice.

And regarding the Master / Sensor setup “which is an enterprise feature”, that doesn’t make sense to me. It’s an explaination which would classify the product more into a freeware category rather than truely open source. I really don’t want to argue, since you guys are doing a fantastic work around this project and we can’t request anything since your work is “free as a beer”, but you should really clarify your position. Is the open source version limited vs the commercial edition by design ? I hope that’s not the case; there was a precedent to this… it was called Nessus fork which ultimately became OpenVAS…

That’s a friendly remark, really.

• Developers from Greenbone are the only contributors for GVM/OpenVAS for years now.
  • Greenbone is a free software company and is dedicated to free software much more then other companies
  • Nearly all my code written for Greenbone is available under a free software license
  • GVM/OpenVAS is free as in speech
  • Enterprise feature means it is not intended for normal users and you will not get support for this feature at this board (currently)
  • To get support for a Master/Sensor feature you have to buy a Greenbone product
  • The Master/Sensor setup was never intended to be set up via GSA.
  • The Master/Sensor feature is usable from GVM. We don’t patch the sources in our products
  • You have to look at the source code to get the osp Master/Sensor setup to work
6 Likes