Openvas-setup failing; undefined symbol error: libopenvas_misc.so.9

I never seem to be able to get a source version working… :slight_smile:

Installed on Ubuntu 18, using git clones (generated today).

Running openvas-setup fails, with message:

openvasmd: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libopenvas_misc.so.9: undefined symbol: load_gnutls_file
openvasmd: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libopenvas_misc.so.9: undefined symbol: load_gnutls_file
openvassd: no process found
Job for openvas-scanner.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status openvas-scanner.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.
Job for openvas-manager.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status openvas-manager.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.

journalctl -xe says:
– Unit openvas-scanner.service has begun starting up.
Feb 22 16:54:23 parallels-Parallels-Virtual-Platform systemd[1]: openvas-manager.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=127
Feb 22 16:54:23 parallels-Parallels-Virtual-Platform systemd[1]: openvas-manager.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Feb 22 16:54:23 parallels-Parallels-Virtual-Platform openvasmd[20482]: /usr/sbin/openvasmd: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libopenvas_misc.so.
Feb 22 16:54:23 parallels-Parallels-Virtual-Platform systemd[1]: Failed to start Open Vulnerability Assessment System Manager Daemon.
– Subject: Unit openvas-manager.service has failed
– Defined-By: systemd
– Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support

– Unit openvas-manager.service has failed.

– The result is RESULT.
Feb 22 16:54:23 parallels-Parallels-Virtual-Platform openvassd[20483]: /usr/sbin/openvassd: symbol lookup error: /usr/sbin/openvassd: undefined sym
Feb 22 16:54:23 parallels-Parallels-Virtual-Platform systemd[1]: openvas-scanner.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=127
Feb 22 16:54:23 parallels-Parallels-Virtual-Platform systemd[1]: openvas-scanner.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Feb 22 16:54:23 parallels-Parallels-Virtual-Platform systemd[1]: Failed to start Open Vulnerability Assessment System Scanner Daemon.
– Subject: Unit openvas-scanner.service has failed
– Defined-By: systemd
– Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support

– Unit openvas-scanner.service has failed.

Any suggestions on where to go next?

What about using LDD and check for your symbols and libraries ?

I’ve never heard of LDD until you mentioned it right now.

You should know how to compile and link software if you plan to use the Greenbone Source Edition, i am afraid but this is not a basic Linux development board… so far i am closing this topic.

1 Like