Scan "Interrupted at 0%", "gvm : a password is required..."

Hello all,

I am using GSA 21.4.3 in a Ubuntu 20.04.1 VM installed from source with the help of the link provided at the bottom. Now, everything worked fine, but when I start a Scan Task it always interrupts at 0%. I went through all the log files but could not find any hint, on what was causing the error. When I executed journalctl -f, while starting the scan, I got this output, where it says in red:

Feb 24 15:29:02 oak-VirtualBox sudo[9631]: gvm : a password is required ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/local/sbin/openvas -s
Feb 24 15:29:02 oak-VirtualBox ospd-openvas[9631]: sudo: a password is required

I am pretty sure, that this is the error, but I do not know how to resolve it. As well, I could not find any similar error with solution in the community or Google.

I tried to change the user for gvmd to root, but it still didn’t work for me after. Can someone please suggest a solution? Thank you in advance!

GVM versions

gsad --version
Greenbone Security Assistant 21.4.3

gvmd --version
'Greenbone Vulnerability Manager 21.4.4
Manager DB revision 242
Copyright (C) 2009-2021 Greenbone Networks GmbH
License: AGPL-3.0-or-later
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

openvas --version
OpenVAS 21.4.3
gvm-libs 21.4.3
Most new code since 2005: (C) 2021 Greenbone Networks GmbH
Nessus origin: (C) 2004 Renaud Deraison deraison@nessus.org
License GPLv2: GNU GPL version 2
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
gvm-libs:

Environment

Operating system: Linux Ubuntu VM
Kernel: Ubuntu 20.04.1
Installation method / source: Greenbone Vulnerability Manager | Libellux

Hi,

it is very likely that the sudo setup is wrong. You need to follow the sudo visudo part at Greenbone Vulnerability Manager | Libellux

2 Likes

Hey @bricks,

thank you very much for answering. I guess you were right, I forgot to update secure_path. At least it’s not interrupting at 0% right after one second, but running longer for the first time (at the moment still 0%). I guess the scan will take some time now :slight_smile: I will update again, when everything worked fine and mark your answer as solution!

Greetings

Update: The scan is now running perfectly fine at 16%. Thank you again for helping!

3 Likes