Summarize and Discuss about all three options to setup GVM

to be honest, from my point of view, gvm is very troublesome to install and upgrade, at the very beginning I wasted some time try to understand the history of openvas and gvm, and then I tried out gvm in three different ways:

option 1. install with linux package manager: apt install gvm,

but I found kali has the latest release,while parrotOS doesn’t, on parrot, now the latest is:

$sudo apt list|grep gvm
gvm-tools/rolling,now 2.0.0-2 all [installed,automatic]
gvm/rolling,now 11.0.5+kali1 all [installed]
gvmd-common/rolling,now 9.0.1-4.1 all [installed,automatic]
gvmd-dbgsym/rolling 9.0.1-4.1+b1 amd64
gvmd/rolling,now 9.0.1-4.1+b1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libgvm-dev/rolling 11.0.1-1 amd64
libgvm-doc/rolling 11.0.1-1 all
libgvm11/rolling,now 11.0.1-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
python-gvm-doc/rolling 1.2.0-2 all
python3-gvm/rolling,now 1.2.0-2 all [installed,automatic]

option 2. install from source

it seems the only promising way to install the latest version, from the release history, the latest is v20.8.0, so I checkout to this release and make install it, although encountered some issues, but not hard to resolve by installing dependencies:

gvmd --version
Greenbone Vulnerability Manager 20.08.0~git-ac4498c21-HEAD
GIT revision ac4498c21-HEAD

option 3. use off-the-shell iso images, but I cannot find it anymore, previously I downloaded a gsm iso image for virtualbox from web page:

https://www.greenbone.net/en/install_use_gce
and Download Link: https://files.greenbone.net/download/VM/gsm-ce-6.0.10.iso,
now all the links are gone

what’s your opinions or suggestions regarding to all these options, I’m quite a noob in linux and gvm, may be there is better way to manage and upgrade gvm using package manager on parrotOS

Welcome to our community,

there is a FAQ what could help you to understand the history and give you some information how to start.

I suggest before wasting time read the FAQ and the documentation first.

Also, the website has been updated. Please check here for the newest version of the pre-built ISOs:

2 Likes

thanks, will check it out

that’s cool

2 posts were split to a new topic: Job for gvmd.service failed because a timeout exceeded