Tasks: Can't select Scan Config (greyed out) after upgrade to GVM 11

I recently upgraded a GVM installation from GVM 10 (with SQLite) to GVM 11 (with PostgreSQL). That was not directly the best upgrade experience I ever had but I guess that’s mainly because of atomic(corp)s bad packaging quality.
Long story short, it’s somewhat working now, but when creating (or editing) a task I can’t select a “Scan Config”, the drop down field is simply greyed out. I can however start already existing tasks and they seem to work just fine.

Here’s a screenshot:

I had a quick look in Firefox’s developer tools: When creating a new task I do see an HTTP GET request to https://<HOST>/gmp?token=<GUID>&cmd=get_configs&usage_type=scan&filter=first=1 rows=-1 which gets a 200 OK response and some XMLish representation of my scan configs.

Tried both Firefox (80.x) and Chromium.

Any idea where I could start debugging?

GVM versions

gsad: Greenbone Security Assistant 9.0
gvmd: Greenbone Vulnerability Manager 9.0.0 | Manager DB revision 221
openvas-scanner: OpenVAS 7.0.0
gvm-libs: gvm-libs-11.0.0-9357.el7.art.x86_64

Environment

Operating system: CentOS Linux release 7.8.2003 (Core)
Kernel: 3.10.0-1127.19.1.el7.x86_64
Installation method / source: RPM packages provided by atomic(corp)

You should check the scan configs page if there are configs listed at all.

Additionally you should update to the current bugfix releases of our software components because a possible issue might have been fixed already. See GVM 11 (old stable, initial release 2019-10-14) for the current versions.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, there are scan configs listed. I can even create new scan configs and edit existing ones.

I’d love to update to the newest version, the thing is: The atomic(corp) YUM repo for CentOS 7 does not supply any newer packages. They also somehow “forgot” to publish source RPMs so I could build newer RPMs myself. And starting from scratch is more than just a bit cumbersome…

I just thought it’s rather unlikely such a bug slipped through QA. But I checked the GSA 9.0.1 changelog on GitHub and couldn’t find a really good matching change or bug fix…

Personally I can’t find a corresponding Changelog entry too but I am really sure this is fixed in newer versions.

1 Like

It was quite a bit of pain but I upgraded gsa to 9.0.1 - as far as I can see the latest 9.x release.
(In case someone wonders: Atomic(corp) maintains their RPM build assets in a public Github repo: https://github.com/Atomicorp/gsa)

But even after the upgrade: Still the very same issue.
I have no real idea left, maybe something was not done correctly during database migration from SQLite to PostgreSQL?

For the create task dialog the same query is run as when you view the list of scan configs.

1 Like