Updated to OpenVas 9.0.3 running on debian buster (10) from the debian reposistory

I’ve moved from openvas 9 on centos to the latest 9.0.3 running on Debian buster. All seemed to be working well till I tried running a scan and then I’m seeing…

[Thu Mar 28 12:53:19 2019][7235] [7235] release_connection_fd: close() : Bad file descriptor

[Thu Mar 28 12:53:19 2019][7235] Severe bug! Unhandled transport layer -1 (fd=1000000)

[Thu Mar 28 12:53:19 2019][7235] Severe bug! Unhandled transport layer -1 (fd=1000000)

in /var/log/openvas/openvassd.messages

openvas-check-setup provides no errors although I gather that’s deprecated now. I suspect there is a missing dependency or the like. How can I best go down tracking down the cause of this? So far everything looks ok apart from this.

Hi Jason,
when you write move from means:

• have you installed from scratch a new instance of Openvas and a new DB?

OR

• have you copied all files and DB from centos to debian (e.g. via scp)

OR

• have you installed from scratch a new instance of Openvas and copied the database from Centos to Debian?

Do you use SQLite3 or Postgres?

I moved recently my Openvas from a VM (Ubuntu) with Openvas 9.0.3 + Sqlite3 to a new VM (Ubuntu) with OpenVas 9.0.3 + Postgres. and another from Openvas+Postgres to another Openvas+Postgres
Moved means:

• Created a new VM
  • Installed from scratch Openvas with Postgres Support
  • Exported data from sqlite
  • Inserted the targets, Schedules etc via script (manually… aargh)
  • created manually all tasks

I also tried the migration tools but it didnt’ worked well, so I preferred to do manually.
If you have all postgres DB the migration is easier :slight_smile:
If you have all SQLite DB is the easiest way :slight_smile::slight_smile:
Anyway I never found the problem you write.

Let me know if u need help

Giovanni