Where md5sums?

At first, I compiled and installed GSE. So I tried to NVT sync, but I couldn’t with this error.

bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
and
[i] Checking MD5 checksum: \usr\bin\md5sum: \usr\local\var\lib\openvas\plugins\md5sums: No such file or directory
not ok
Error: md5sums not correct. Your NVT collection might be broken now.
Please try this for details: cd “\usr\local\var\lib\openvas\plugins” ; \usr\bin\md5sum -c “\usr\local\var\lib\openvas\plugins\md5sums” | less

I searched about this problem and installed bzip2. But there were no different.
After that, I made an empty file named “\usr\local\var\lib\openvas\plugins\md5sums”. So I got this error.

bzip2: (stdin) is not a bzip2 file.
and
[i] Checking MD5 checksum: \usr\bin\md5sum: \usr\local\var\lib\openvas\plugins\md5sums: no properly formatted MD5 checksum lines found
not ok
Error: md5sums not correct. Your NVT collection might be broken now.
Please try this for details: cd “\usr\local\var\lib\openvas\plugins” ; \usr\bin\md5sum -c “\usr\local\var\lib\openvas\plugins\md5sums” | less

So I think nvt-sync can find md5sums but that is none in my computer.
What should I do?

notes) I can’t use English well, so I would be pleased if you could forgive me even if the sentences are hard to read. And I’m now new user, so some messages cut.

Hi,

the md5sums file is part of the feed and contains the checksums for all VTs. If no such file is present or if some VTs have wrong checksums, the tests will not be loaded.

For more help please provide as much information as possible, e.g.:

1. What OS you are working on?
  2. How did you install the Greenbone Source Edition (package manager or github repo)?
  3. Which versions of the OpenVAS/GVM components are you using? Note: Please name the detailed versions of openvas-manager, openvas-scanner, openvas-libraries, not just “OpenVAS 9”.
  4. What command did you run to get the error?

Seems like you tried the old check setup script. It is not being maintained since quite a while and I recommend not to use it anymore. We are trying to make the executables verbose enough to explain possible setup problems.

To come back to your issue, it is probably a non-issue: GCF and GSF meanwhile moved on to sha256sums.

1 Like

Thanks for emoss and Jan.
I tell some information.
Now I use Debian, and compiled and installed packages (gsa-7.0.3, gvm-7.0.3, gvm-libs-9.0.3, gvm-tools-1.4.1, gvmd-7.0.3, openvas-scanner-5.1.3).
I used ‘cmake’, ‘make’, ‘make doc’ and ‘make install’ for these packages.
After that, I use ‘openvas-mkcert’ and make it.
Next, I use ‘openvas-nvt-sync’ and I found this error.
In fact, I want to get check tools so I used ‘wget --no-check-certificate’ with “https://svn.wald.intevation.org/svn/openvas/trunk/tools/openvas-check-setup” but there are 404. Is this the reason?

This script and this SVN is no longer maintained please ONLY use the GitHub resources. If someone on the internet pointed you in this direction, please tell him that this information is no longer valid and obsolete.

1 Like

Oh, No.
Thanks tell me and I’ll tell this information.
After that, I start to install by Github!

1 Like

Just one additional note to this:

This script is long deprecated and was replaced by greenbone-nvt-sync some time ago. Not sure why this script is still there on your installation (maybe from a previous one?) and this is most likely the issue why you’re facing the problem with the missing md5sums file.

Thanks.
Now I use greenbone-nvt-sync and success!!!:slight_smile:
I restart to install now!