Cannot access the web interface although everything is up and running in Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS

Greenbone Security Assistant 7.0.3
Copyright © 2010-2016 Greenbone Networks GmbH
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later
Greenbone Vulnerability Manager 9.0.1~git-563b8c88-gvmd-9.0
GIT revision 563b8c88-gvmd-9.0
Manager DB revision 221

OpenVAS 7.0.1
gvm-libs 11.0.1

Installation method:
apt-get install openvas
openvas-setup

openvas-check-setup output: It seems like your OpenVAS-9 installation is OK.

It is a remote ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS server without any GUI. So, it’s web interface is accessed via a public ip via the port number 9392. But when It try to access it it just hangs in there and responds saying it took too long to respond. I do not find any error anywhere. Everything is up and running. Please help me getting access to the web interface. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much in advance. Also please let me know any more information you required from my side.

Hi,

have you checked the gsad logfile? Should be in $INSTALL_PREFIX/var/log/gvm/gsad.log and include your connection attempt.
You can also try to check if there is a tls related problem using something like this openssl s_client -connect <YOUR-IP>:9392

Cheers,
Carl

1 Like

It seems you are mixing an old GSA and gsad version with a newer gvmd. That’s not possible and wont work at all. Please always use the components suitable for the wanted release

1 Like

@bricks thank you for your response. But I did not manipulate any version. I just used the following two commands in my ubuntu server as follows:
apt-get install openvas
openvas-setup

Should I install using apt-get install gvm maybe??
Thanks again.

Hello @bricks , could you please provide me with an installation guide of openvas for ubuntu 20.04. Please share with me one. I desperately need openvas to work correctly on this current ubuntu version. I tried with whatever resources I got from the internet but it did not work properly. So, please help. Thank you so much.

This should work on Ubuntu 20.04 as well:

1 Like

Additionally please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about this.

1 Like