A friendly question about the state of community release patching and versioning

Hi,

First of all, this is by no means a rant or complain :slight_smile:

When a new release for example gvmd 8.0.1 is “frozen”, and a bug shows up afterwards.
There is no clear way to patch the release version, atleast no way that I have found?

If it was possible, it would be great to have the option to patch against the released version without cherry picking from master.

Perhaps I’ve missed something, or just don’t understand how to do it right :slight_smile:

Kind Regards Falk

Hi Falk,

all fixes are put into the corresponding release branches. We are maintaining the branches until our product based on these branches is End-Of-Life. The fixes should also be mentioned - with their corresponding PR - in the CHANGELOG.md files. So you should not be required to cherry pick from master branches. Just follow the release branches e.g. gsa-8.0.

2 Likes

And as an additional note specific to github. You can easily create patch files from such a Pull Request like explained in:

3 Likes

Cool feature :rocket:. Wasn’t aware of it.

1 Like

Ok,

So if I want to use the x.0.1 branch I should download the tagged git branch and not the release tar.gz.

Sorry if I’m thick :slight_smile:

Regards Falk

The release tar gz is created from the corresponding release branch. It contains the same source code as the tag. E.g. current gsa-8.0 contains v8.0.0 and v8.0.1 releases of GSA.

Oh, I was thinking for example the PQexec failed: ERROR: syntax error at or near “report” #657.

Is that something that is merged/will be merged into the 8.0.1 branch?

Regards Falk

There is no 8.0.1 branch and will never be one. This is a version tag where one version is tagged to a specific commit, this is freezed and will never change.

It seems currently a tag like e.g. GitHub - greenbone/gvmd at v8.0.1 is mixed with a branch like e.g. https://github.com/greenbone/gvmd/tree/gvmd-8.0 :confused:

The first won’t receive the mentioned fix, the latter has it already included. Depending on the development team a new version tag v8.0.2 will be created on the current state of the gvmd-8.0 branch and afterwards new fixes will be added on top of that which might get v8.0.3 in the future.

1 Like

Thanks, I was mixing apples with pears (perhaps a Swedish saying) :smiley:
That cleared up my confusion about tags/branches.

So to keep up with the changes on 8.x / 10.x, I shall build against the https://github.com/greenbone/gvmd/tree/gvmd-8.0.

Regards Falk

Right, your specific fix you are looking for is in the the gvmd-8.0 branch and would be included in such a build: https://github.com/greenbone/gvmd/pull/658

In German we also have such a saying: “Comparing apples with pears” and that might totally apply to your current situation :wink:

3 Likes
  • stable » When the latest image has been stable for some time, it merges to this branch. This is the proposed prod branch
  • latest » Latest update to the upstream release 10.0 releasetree.
  • dev » Upstream master, to test new functions and prepare for next major release.

Perhaps this will be better for my little images :slight_smile: