How to find the Default admin user password

I forgot to note down the admin user password while setup, now I am unable to login without a password & I tried to change to a new password, it is also not working.

you can change password by this way.

gvmd --user=admin --new-password=new_password
1 Like

I tried but it is not working

@saikrishna cloud you paste the response?

1 Like

When I run gvmd --user=admin --new-password=new_password this command nothing is printing in the terminal but when I log in with the new password it is showing Login Failed, invalid username or password warning message.

I suspect you are using Kali. In that case the command should be sudo runuser -u _gvm – gvmd --user=admin --new-password=new_password. On Kali it is important that all commands are run as the _gvm user.

1 Like

Hey, Bricks
Thanks for your immediate response but above command is also not working

IMHO you need to use two - (minus) here. Sorry was a copy&paste mistake. Should be: sudo runuser -u _gvm -- gvmd --user=admin --new-password=new_password. See debian/README.Debian · debian/master · Debian Security Tools Packaging Team / gvm · GitLab

3 Likes

Thank you bricks, it worked but how can we find the admin user default password the one displayed on the console during the gvm-setup.

How can you find the password of for example your google account? You just can’t.

If you can find a password I would have very serious doubts of the security of the corresponding application. You need to write down that displayed password. If you lost that password you need to create a new one with the command above.

We are installing open-vas in our local host & by default that random password is generated & displayed in the terminal after the setup so my suggestion is somewhere if you store the password it will be easy to pick that.