Virtual Appliance v4.2.24 all scans fail

Hi,

the main problem is that no one currently knows which commands you have already tried on the command line while trying to solve this issue which might have contributed to or even causing this issue (e.g. running greenbone-nvt-sync on the command line instead of via the menu).

Thus the note/warning about root/shell access was given.

Similar the note about the nmap parameter so that this discussion isn’t based on incorrect assumptions.

To verify the status of the version 4.2.24 of the GCE (i only had 4.2.20 installed) i had:

1. downloaded and installed a fresh 4.2.24 ISO image following the instructions posted initially
  2. done a successful first feed sync (no “A system operation is currently running” in the About menu like explained in the initial posted link)
  3. started a new scan against a system answering to ICMP echo requests

The system was detected as “alive” correctly and the results are coming in (e.g. services detected) as expected.

I will see (if time permits) to update Hint: Hosts are not scanned / not shown as "Alive" to make clear that parts of the steps shouldn’t be done for the GCE and to add a few additional notes on how to enabling more debugging steps.

For now i suggest the following:

1. Re-do the installation of the GCE 4.2.24 installation without going to the shell
  2. Wait until the feed was synced successfully (Check the About menu)
  3. Try to enable additional logging within the nmap (NASL wrapper) and Ping Host VTs (e.g. enable nmap logging) to see possible issues
1 Like