Why using xml?

Hello everyone.
I was wondering if someone can explain me the advantages of using xml in Gvm-cli.
I like configuring from remote, but I also could login into my gsa and and do everything I need.
So I don’t see a certain advantage about it.

Best regards,
Yannick Noah

Automation. Maybe I don’t get your question but the purpose of using our GMP interface directly is to do automation.

2 Likes

Yes over the interface it’s automation. And whats the point to use XML over terminal?
I mean sure, I can configure and add port lists, I can define targets and tasks and start a scan… But all this I can do over the interface itself.

Xml is there because gmp communicates this way. So using xml in terminal is more nice-to-have?

I still don’t get what you mean. GMP is the interface for gvmd. You can’t start tasks without using GMP.

1 Like

I mean for example this
gvm-cli ssh --gmp-username webadmin --gmp-password password\ --hostname 192.168.1.1 \ --xml "<create_task><name>Scan Suspect Host</name> \ <target id=\"4574473f-a5d0-494c-be6f-3205be487793\"></target> \ <config id=\"daba56c8-73ec-11df-a475-002264764cea\"></config></create_task>"

What is the purpose of using gvm-cli to create a task/target if can do it over the webinterface?
has it a special purpose i am missing, or is it more nicetohave?

As I wrote it is for automation. Imagine you have a DHCP service running. You could create a target and task for each new registered IP address and scan the new system automatically. For more examples take a look at https://github.com/greenbone/gvm-tools/tree/master/scripts

4 Likes

ah, alright got it.
Thank you!