Windows 10 WSL2 Kali Not Working

GVM versions

gsad: (‘Greenbone Security Assistant 9.0.1’)
gvmd: (‘Greenbone Vulnerability Manager 9.0.1’)
openvas-scanner: (‘OpenVAS 7.0.1’)
**gvm-libs:**11.0.1

Environment

Operating system: Windows/WSL2 HOST / Kali Linux VM
Kernel: (Linux DESKTOP-96LGMNU 4.19.128-microsoft-standard #1 SMP Tue Jun 23 12:58:10 UTC 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux’)
Installation method / source: sudo apt-get install openvas
sudo gvm-setup

I thought this command should start gvm.
[] Please wait for the GVM / OpenVAS services to start.
[
]
[] You might need to refresh your browser once it opens.
[
]
[*] Web UI (Greenbone Security Assistant): https://127.0.0.1:9392

System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate.
Failed to connect to bus: Host is down

And I think this is because WSL2 does not start with init.d.
But there is a service binary in init.d too.

sudo service gvmd start ->:
Starting Greenbone Vulnerability Manager: ERROR.

I don’t know which service to start to reach the UI or even that combination works.
Any guidance will help. thanks

seems the gvm is butchered at the time with a lot of parts failing in a lot of distros. will gonna look elsewhere for scanners.

This is nonsense and FUD. The problems at the distros are multi-layerd and it has nothing to do with GVM in general. Please contact the Kali developers for issues on Kali.

3 Likes

Please note that the Windows-10 Linux - Persona does not implement many features like a real Linux kernel. So i personally doubt that raw-socket and our scanner will ever run on it.

Even if you manage to bring the GSA up and running you will hit a even higher wall with the scanner.

Here a interesting read:

2 Likes

@Lukas

Thanks for approaching the question without

Not our problem

mindset. I think that source is about earlier WSL, where they had made windows made a socket connection to the WSL distro. They changed the communication to the windows something like a behind a windows NAT with WSL2. Or will? I don’t know. I don’t know even if it is good. And it is supposed to be running a real Linux kernel now. But It is still lacking many features a real machine does. Example like you said, even Nmap scanner fails at some scan arguments. You can’t attach a device to the wsl distro’s kernel etc… There is something more wrong with it but can’t figure out. Like Lukas said there will always be doubts on WSL when you try to go beyond running simple softwares. I also suggest if you are learning kali or CSec related things. use a VM rather than WSL.